Nun Sentenced for Stealing From Churches for Gambling Addiction | News
ALBION, NY-- A nun who stole money from two churches in Orleans County is going to jail.
Sister Mary Anne Rapp will spend the next 90 days in jail for stealing e about $128,000 from St. Mark Church in Kendall and St. Mary in Holley.
Rapp is also sentenced to five years probation, 100 hours of community service and will have to pay back the full amount stolen from the churches.
Rapp spoke in court Monday morning stating she took the money because of a gambling addiction.
Sister Edith Wyss, provincial minister for the 133 members of the Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity, issued this statement regarding Sister Mary Anne Rapp's sentencing Monday.
"Despite the enormous support that Sister Mary Anne received from friends, parishioners and her religious community, her proactive approach to her recovery and her involvement in meaningful ministry, the judge determined that she deserved jail time. We feel great empathy for the two church communities affected by her actions. Sister Mary Anne is a member of our community and we will continue to help and support her."
Upcoming Events near Orleans County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Town of Hamburg Police Ask Assistance in Identifying Individual for Questioning
- Scholarship Stresses Importance of Character, Education
- Holiday Tour Fun at the Herschell Carrousel Factory Museum
- Kenmore Mercy Hospital dietitian shares tips for a healthier Thanksgiving
- Kenmore East High School students join together to fight hunger in WNY