Big Warehouse Fire in Albion Prompts 'Lockdown' | News
ALBION, NY - Nearby residents were on "lockdown" as fire crews from four counties battled a large warehouse fire on West Avenue at Hamilton Street in this Orleans County community Thursday afternoon.
A building housing wooden pallets caught fire at about 4 p.m. and emergency workers were concerned that it might spread to the building next door that houses methyl chloride, a toxic chemical.
Neighbors were instructed to stay indoors with their windows closed.
The chemicals were later removed from the neighboring building, home to the Empire Coating company.
The fire started when the owner of the pallet company and another person were using a grinder on some metal pipes on the second floor. Sparks from the grinder are blamed for starting the fire. Both people were able to leave the building without incident.
Fire crews from Orleans, Monroe, Genesee and Niagara counties responded to the fire.
Demolition crews took down the building on Friday.
Upcoming Events near Orleans County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Daemen Receives National Distinction As a ‘Great College to Work For’
- India’s Ambassador Mulay to Present Lecture at Daemen
- Free Concert, Scottish Festival Among August Highlights at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Deer Rescued from Glen Falls in Williamsville
- Daemen Approved for Advancement in NCAA Membership Process
- Outdoor Entertainment to Continue through August at Seneca Niagara Casino & Hotel
- State firefighters honor Newfane volunteer
- Pilot in Niagara County plane crash dies
- Niagara County Residents Speak Out Against Landfill Expansion
- Legendary Latin Rock Band Santana to Perform at Seneca Niagara Events Center on October 11
- NOCO Express stores raise more than $12,000 for United Way
- City of Toronto reminds residents to prepare for severe storms on anniversary of July 8, 2013 flood
- Buffalo, NY Fourth City Employee Pleads Guilty to Theft of Thousands from Parking Meters
- Joint Underage Alcohol Enforcement Effort 15 Pass; 2 Charged
- Better Business Bureau Offers Advice to Homeowners on Roofing Contractors