Orleans Niagara BOCES Helps The Homebound | News
MEDINA, N.Y. -- The holidays are a perfect time for many people to give to others, while expecting nothing in return. Tuesday in Medina, that spirit of giving was alive and well.
When the Orleans Niagara B.O.C.E.S heard that a local senior citizen living as a double amputee needed a ramp leading from her home to get to appointments they immediately got to work to help her out.
Instructor Jacob Daniels says watching nearly a dozen students work together to help a homebound senior is the perfect classroom assignment, "it's these real world experiences that students really respond to."
The students realize that giving back to the community is a key ingredient to success, both in and out of the classroom. Student Joy Howes says, "you have to get into the holiday season, this helps with that, you can feel good you helped someone especially around the holiday season."
The owner of the house, Kathy Foss is extremely grateful for what BOCES is doing. This ramp will give her some independence and allow her to go to a doctor's appointment, or a hair appointment without having to rely on someone to pick her up, it's a life changing moment for her, "I want to thank each and every student helping and I do hope this is a learning experience for them, so they can help someone in return, Foss told 2 On Your Side.
Upcoming Events near Orleans County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Cartagena guilty of other charges in death of daughter
- Quilt Seminar, 5K Run Headline September Events at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Daemen Grant to Establish Fitness Program for Individuals With Disabilities, Educate Trainers
- Daemen Associate Athletic Director Named to 30 Under Thirty
- Free Summer Concert on Terrace 8/20
- Niagara Falls Police looking for missing 14 year old
- Niagara Wheatfield Transportation Department Prepares Kindergartners for First Day
- Orleans/Niagara BOCES Welding Program Bike Racks Unveiled in Medina
- Lewiston police arrest accused home invader
- Orleans/Niagara BOCES LPN students first in country to receive new certification
- U.S. Marshals Holding National Jewelry Sale
- Niagara County Sheriff's Department Seeking info on Location of Collin Simons
- Secret Service: Queens Woman Pleads Guilty to Possession; Counterfeit Money
- Secret Service Grounds a local "Check Kiting" Ring 5 Arrested, Convicted
- NOCO Express stores raise more than $12,000 for United Way