Lewiston Residents Overwhelmingly Support New Recreation Center | News
In stark contrast to the previous two Village of Lewiston Board meetings, where trustees were blasted for stumping for a new recreation center, residents Monday overwhelmingly voiced their support for a new indoor sports complex.
"It is needed for the kids," said Bruce Blakelock.
His son, eighth-grader Robert Blakelock, said, "There's not a whole lot of areas in Lewiston to go and play sports."
"If we don't accept this for our children ... we're throwing something away," said Dennis Brochey.
"There are a lot of people in the village that are very supportive of (a new recreation center)," Peter Nagy said. "It's a shame that this project is kind of dead in the water."
Trustees opted to hold the public forum Monday despite losing the support of Gary Hall. In November, the Waste Technology Services president and CEO offered to finance a multimillion-dollar recreation center, but backed out Thursday due to what board members called a desire to keep the peace. Hall, they said, was taken aback by the negative comments he received at board meetings in December and January, when North Fourth Street-area residents balked at the idea of building a 28,000-square-foot complex in their backyard.
Upcoming Events near Orleans County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AT&T Announces More Than 150 Jobs Available in New York
- Niland Named Daemen’s Athletics Director
- Daemen Receives National Distinction As a ‘Great College to Work For’
- India’s Ambassador Mulay to Present Lecture at Daemen
- Free Concert, Scottish Festival Among August Highlights at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- NOCO Express stores raise more than $12,000 for United Way
- City of Toronto reminds residents to prepare for severe storms on anniversary of July 8, 2013 flood
- Buffalo, NY Fourth City Employee Pleads Guilty to Theft of Thousands from Parking Meters
- Joint Underage Alcohol Enforcement Effort 15 Pass; 2 Charged
- Better Business Bureau Offers Advice to Homeowners on Roofing Contractors