Orleans Co. Animal Shelter Shut Down | News
ALBION, NY-An Orleans County animal shelter has shut down and its nearly 100 animals were turned over to the Humane Society of Greater Rochester following a law enforcement investigation into conditions at the shelter.
According to the Humane Society, more than 75 cats, 20 dogs and a rat were transferred Friday from the People for Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) facility in on Gaines Basin Road Albion to Lollypop Farm in Perinton.
No criminal charges have been filed as a result of the investigation, which was sparked by numerous complaints to the Humane Society by people concerned about the health and welfare of animals in the care of PAWS. According to the Humane Society, animal cruelty investigators found numerous animals suffering from untreated ear mites, upper respiratory infections and chronic conjunctivitis. Record-keeping about daily care and veterinary treatment was also found to be spotty.
According to Lollypop Farm officials, staffers with PAWS voluntarily relinquished care of the animals and temporarily closed the shelter. The investigation is continuing.
"While assuming the care of this large number of animals at once is a burden on our organization, this is ultimately the best solution to ensure the animals receive proper care and have the best chance at being adopted into new homes," said Alice Calabrese, president of Lollypop Farm.
Upcoming Events near Orleans County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Buffalo’s Economic Resurgence Focus of Mayor’s Daemen Lecture
- Cartagena guilty of other charges in death of daughter
- Quilt Seminar, 5K Run Headline September Events at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Daemen Grant to Establish Fitness Program for Individuals With Disabilities, Educate Trainers
- Daemen Associate Athletic Director Named to 30 Under Thirty
- Niagara County Sheriff's Department Tributes K9 Crime Fighting Co-workers
- NYSP: Missing Adult Alert: Walter Marsh CANCELED
- U.S. Marshals Holding National Jewelry Sale
- Niagara County Sheriff's Department Seeking info on Location of Collin Simons
- Secret Service: Queens Woman Pleads Guilty to Possession; Counterfeit Money