O/N BOCES' North Tonawanda Learning Center Students Travel the Globe | Schools
Students at the Orleans/Niagara BOCES North Tonawanda Learning Center got to experience the sights, sounds and tastes of several countries all without leaving their building. Teachers Jessica Guarnieri and Joy Stoldt said they had been discussing the idea with some colleagues and everyone thought it was a great idea. “We asked all the teachers at the site to contribute ideas on what an international day would look like and then we all voted on it. We thought it would be neat if we gave each student a passport and made each classroom a country and they got their passports stamped at each place.”
Ten classrooms participated with each room dedicated to a particular country. Students would partake in a craft that had to do with that country and learn a little about the culture. They would then rotate to the next country when the bell rang. The teachers also made a snack that is common to that country and placed them all in a main gathering area where the students would all get to sample a little of each. “My students were very excited,” said Ms. Guarnieri. “They were very happy to participate and it was really neat how they saw all the different flags to represent the countries and the teachers dressed in clothing from that country. They also got to try food and drinks that they had never had before.”
Ms. Guarnieri says what was really great about the experience is that while the students were having fun they were also learning a lot so it all tied into the teaching standards. “I hope all the students learned so much about other cultures and it made them realize that there is a great big world out there and so much to see.” Ms. Stoldt said, “We had a blast! The students enjoyedexploring the new cultures to learn facts and participate in a craft.”
Upcoming Events near Orleans County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Air Base Supporters Have Influential Advocate
- A high-speed police chase through the streets of Niagara Falls early Sunday morning ended in a fatal crash for the driver of the pursued vehicle.
- Police Investigate Death In Lockport
- ORLEANS/NIAGARA BOCES EARNS NATIONAL TOP HONORS IN 2014 MAGNA AWARDS
- Cause of Water Line Break Found
- Exit 2 Bar & Grille Brings Excitement to Tonawanda Dining Scene
- Abraham's Table Discussion: "What Do We Owe God? The Religious Ethics of Business."
- Buffalo Man Charged with Fraud and Making Counterfeit Money
- Five Charged With Marijuana Trafficking
- Catholic Cemeteries of Buffalo join Niagara County Thank a Vet program